Cottage Grove Minnesota History
This collection of historical documents from Cottage Grove is in the archives of the Minnesota Historical Society, a foundation of Minnesota State University, St. Paul.
Cottage Grove Ravine Park in southern Washington County is a beautifully varied landscape of densely wooded canyons, scattered clearings and ancient prairie fields, with scattered clearing of older fields and prairies. It is located on the southern edge of the city of St. Paul, Minnesota, and borders St. Paul Park and Cottages Grove. Cottage Grove and its suburbs form one of the largest and most diverse public parks in Minnesota in the Twin Cities area. Together with the nearby suburb, Cottage Grove is the largest public park system in Minnesota and the second largest in North America.
Cottages Grove is easily accessible from St. Paul Park and Cottage Grove Ravine Park on the north side of the city. The park can bypass passages to Chicago, Chicago Park and the Chicago River, as well as the Minnesota-Wisconsin border.
The original road was replaced in 1958 when a divided highway was expanded, and it is still used by the St. Paul Police Department and the Minnesota Department of Transportation (MNDOT).
Only a tiny section in the far north is still preserved, and this section is not accessible, so the WCHS must ask permission to move or destroy the documents. Most of these plots have been razed to the ground and are now occupied by Cottage Grove Public Works and the Minnesota Department of Transportation (MNDOT). The transfer was made without any costs to Cottages Grove, but the public works project caused significant damage to the properties.
Some of these items are rare, including the street inquiries from Cottage Grove in 1859, the year the community was founded. Burbank said the documents were forwarded to WCHS and will not be issued at Cottages Grove City Hall, but the records can be viewed at the Historical Society's research center. Peterson said there are already a few other C-section records at the WchS Records Center, including birth, stillbirth and death certificates from the Minnesota Historical Society and the State Archives, as well as a copy of the county clerk's office records. In addition to these documents, Cottage Grove has also submitted some birth and stillbirth and death certificates to both the Minneapolis - St. Paul Public Library and the Minnesota Department of Public Health.
She said the collection includes a copy of the city clerk's notes from 1859 as well as the first session rules. She also found a book of meeting rules donated to the Historical Society and the Minnesota Department of Public Health by the city of Cottage Grove.
Herman Kernkamp was born in Missouri, where he stayed for three years before moving with his parents to Woodbury, Washington County, Minnesota. He moved to Wisconsin and worked there for a few years in Oakdale, returned to Canada and settled on his current farm in 1863, where he stayed for about 10 years when he moved to Woodbury Minn. in 1867 and settled on the farms he now owns. Herman Kernkamp lived in St. Paul, Wisconsin for about 5 years until they bought the farm they live on in 1875. They stayed in Wisconsin before moving to St. Paul and Woodberry and settling on what is now their farm.
William J. Bachman was born in Michigan in 1849, moved to Detroit, Michigan and from there to Oakland County, then to Washington County Minnesota, where he lived until 1853, when he moved to Woodbury, Minnesota, at the age of 18. He bought the farm where they live today and worked on it for two years, and then he stayed with his parents for another three years until they moved from Washington County to Wisconsin. In 1875 he bought 160 acres and settled on it, but remained in Wisconsin for the rest of his life, except for 1874 and 1877 when he went to St. Paul, Wisconsin, from there Woodberry, worked as a farmer for 3 years and rented out a farm where he now lives. After moving to Stillwater, Minnesota, in 1853 and settling on the farms in the 1860s, they bought them back in 1870 and worked on them for a year before moving back to Wisconsin County and Minnesota.
They moved from Hastings to Cottage Grove and hired J.W. Furber. In 1861, they bought 80 acres of land, which they held for a year, then sold it in 1872 and rented it out for two years.
They moved to Buffalo, New York in 1850, worked on the farm for nine months and worked in the commercial business. They stopped in Newport, employed and worked in the trade for 8 months and founded a wagon factory, where they continue their business until they emigrated to Minnesota in the spring of 1854 and founded their present farm. After about 12 years Afton sold it and moved it to Woodbury, but they moved on to Minnesota in 1878. In 1879 they stopped in St. Paul, worked on their farm and were active as a trading company for nine months.